Editor’s note: The courageous Dr. Wafa Sultan was a participant in the “Sharia or the Constitution: Preserving Freedom Conference” held in Nashville, TN on November 11, 2011.
The video below is an excerpt from an Arabic-language television debate between Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed and Dr. Wafa Sultan. Both participants were born in Syria in 1958 and later emigrated, but their paths in life have diverged significantly in the years since.
Dr. Sultan moved to the United States, escaped from Islam, and became an outspoken apostate and critic of Islam who now lives under the threat of death.
Sheikh Omar moved to Britain and became an Islamic zealot. He worked tirelessly to make the radical group Hizb ut-Tahrir into a formidable organization in the UK. He founded the now-banned organization Al-Muhajiroun, to which several of the 7/7 bombers belonged. He is the mentor and close associate of Anjem Choudary, the Ilford firebrand. He fled Britain in 2004 to escape prosecution, and now lives in Lebanon.
Below are selected words of wisdom spoken at various times by Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed:
- “We don’t force people to become Muslims, but definitely we will force Islamic rule on all the world [when] we have power.”
- “We are obliged as Muslims to make the whole galaxy subservient to almighty Allah.” Continued below
- “The 7/7 bombers were just ordinary Muslims in the community. It shows how your evil policies have pushed them.”
- “You want to declare war against us? We will declare Islam against you. It is time for you to wake up before it is too late.”
- “One day, the Muslims you enrolled in your European police and armed forces will rise, and they will crush you.”
Even the Pentagon would have to admit that Sheikh Omar is an “extremist”. But if you follow his statements closely in the video below, you’ll notice that his assertions simply express the standard teachings of Islamic law as it is understood by millions of Sunni Muslims all over the world. What he says is straight out of Reliance of the Traveller and Saudi school textbooks. The same doctrines — the supremacy of Islam, the inequality of men and women, and the obligation to spread Islam by force — are taught to children in Indonesian primary schools and read out in mosques in the United States.
In other words, “extremism” is mainstream in Islam. Read more and see more at Gates of Vienna